From the conversations I have had with parents, teachers, administrators, and stakeholders in our community I can appreciate and understand the frustration many of us are feeling with the ever-changing information and guidance we are receiving on school plans for reopening.
The district reopening plan is document subject to ongoing revision. As such, the
Frank W. Gavlak School is a grade 1-6 building. It currently has an approximate enrollment of 400 students with one grade one, one grade two, two grade threes, four grade fours, four grade fives and four grade sixes. Various programs are offered to meet the needs of students. Among them are: basic skills remediation, speech, special education services, bi-lingual/ESL education, gifted and talented and guidance services.
The Gavlak Staff welcomes all of our students to the 2020-2021 School Year.
I would like to welcome everyone back to the 2020-2021 school-year. Please be aware that school will be VIRTUAL ONLY for all students from September 10th-October 9th. It is our hope that we will be able to begin in person instruction on October 13th, as per the School Restart and Recovery Plan, which you will find posted on our school website.
September 10th will be the first day of school and students should log on to their Google Classrooms by 8:30 A.M.
Chromebooks have been distributed during the week of August 24th to parents who have requested a unit for their child. Should your child need a Chromebook, please contact the Gavlak School Main Office at 973-777-4420.
Please be aware that a distribution schedule is being finalized for parents to pick up school textbooks and supplies that will be needed at home for your child's Virtual Instruction. In keeping the process orderly and safe for everyone, the schedule will be organized, allowing one day for each grade level parent to come in and pick up books. Scheduled times for each pick-up day will be from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Parents will be required to wear masks when entering the school building.
Please note the following:
- Books and supplies will be organized by Grade and Teacher and organized on lunch tables in the Gavlak School Multi-Purpose Room.
- Each Parent will receive a Book/Supply checklist that contains: Student's Name, Teacher's Names, Grade and Book Checklist.
- The checklist form mentioned above will be made available via our "All Call System" as an attachment. Parents should bring the form in to pick up their child's books and supplies.
- The form should be signed by the Parent and submitted as documentation for receiving books and supplies.
- Parents will have access to the Multi-Purpose Room in order to minimize travel within the school facility.
- The pick-up schedule has been finalized. A Textbook Pickup Schedule was emailed to all parents. The Pickup dates have been scheduled for the week of September 14th.
Should you have any questions regarding the pick-up process, please feel free to contact my office at Gavlak School.
Nancy J. Giambrone
Principal, Frank W. Gavlak School
Please see "News and Events" under "About Us" to find out more information about the Frank W. Gavlak School.